Sunday, January 6, 2013

PIT, SAGGAR & RAKU FIRED POTTERY

After spending thirteen years as a goldsmith’s apprentice I turned to clay as a hobby. I immediately knew this would be my life’s passion.


Pit Fired Jar 4"x4"

I love the way the calm smooth surface of a pit or saggar fired vessel is decorated with bursts of chaotic organic colors in these out of control and unpredictable firing methods.  It’s as if the chaos is trapped inside the surface of the pot.

Pit Fired Vessel 


Top View

Pit Fired Vessel 2
It has been a twenty year journey that has led me to where I am today. I currently teach pottery and alternative firing classes for the Creative Arts Center at Thompson Park, Lincroft, NJ.
Saggar Fired Open Vessel

Raku Wave Single Ripple




Raku Wave Single Ripple (2nd view)

Raku Wave Multiple Ripples



Raku Wave Multiple Ripples  (2nd view)

White Crackle Raku Bowl

Saggar Fired Vessel 

Raku Platter

2 comments:

  1. Your work is beautiful Christina - and sure to inspire many. Congrats on your new blog!

    ReplyDelete